Most people who travel understand what they can and can’t take with them in a carry-on bag. No sharp items. Liquids under 3 ounces. Generally nothing suspicious. But fewer people know what they can and cannot put in their checked luggage.
Checked baggage is luggage you check in at the ticket counter or at a Bags Remote airline Check-In desk. It will not be accessible during your flight.
TSA is mandated by federal law to screen 100% of checked baggage. Again, most people have the common sense to avoid packing dangerous items, but TSA has some additional packing tips to help you avoid checked luggage delivery delays or damage to your items if your bag needs to be searched.
- DO NOT pack jewelry, cash, computers, electronics, or fragile items in your checked baggage.
- Pack shoes, boots, sneakers, and other footwear on top of other contents in your luggage.
- AVOID over-packing your bag so that your articles do not spill onto the ground if the bag is opened for inspection and the screener will be able to easily close it.
- AVOID packing food and drink items in checked baggage.
- DO NOT stack piles of books or documents on top of each other; spread them out within your baggage.
DO NOT pack or bring prohibited items to the airport.
- Place personal items such as toiletries, toothbrushes etc., in clear plastic bags to reduce the chance that a TSA screener will have to handle them.
- DO NOT pack wrapped gifts. They may need to be opened for inspection.
By following these guidelines, you can reduce the likelihood that your bags will need to be searched and avoid any delays or damage to your personal belongings.
To avoid even more hassle at the airport, use Bags VIP luggage delivery services and skip the wait at baggage claim. Your bags will be delivered straight to your home, office or hotel by trusted Bags agents. Click here to book Bags VIP for your next trip or vacation, and let us help make travel easier.